Friday, September 7, 2007

Last Night's Entry, Posted Today

Burning candles and listening to some music I don't normally listen to.  I promised myself I would just type and not think anything out.  Simply let my fingers do the work.  I've been thinking about death...probably a bit too much.  In between dreaming and waking...thinking, thinking, thinking.  I cry knowing that everyone will be weepy and sad if I leave this world soon.  And I don't say that with conceit.  I say it out of love and concern for all those I care about.  I can't help but think of the year and a half that went by...where that wonderful man of mine was absent from my life because both of us were busy keeping score and holding grudges. Instead of trying to repair a love we both knew couldn't be replaced. Lesson, live in the moment. I chuckle thinking about how it's taken me this long to understand my father.  That the touch of his hand on my back is a security and warmth I really never thought we'd have again.  I don't regret a single moment it's taken me to get here with him though.  I wonder what goes through Mom's head when she doesn't hear me "stirring" around in the morning. When she comes near my closed door does she listen for breathing??  Is she overwhelmed thinking about "loosing" me?  I question why people "What if..." me. What if the cyst in your breast is malignant?  What if the doctors say you have three months left to live?  What if you can't go back to DC at the end of the month?  I don't really "do" what if's because they are just that, "what if's".  I could "what if" myself into delirium. What if doesn't change a situation or give it more clarity.  It's speculation.  It's hoping for answers to the unknown.  For now however...let's play the "what if" game. Ha ha.  Just once, and I get to give the answers.  Ready...go!!

What ifI was never diagnosed with cancer???? 

I would have never started noticing pink and orange sunsets. I wouldn't know the value of true friendships.  I would still be taking myself too seriously.  I wouldn't be grateful that I get to hang out with my parents every Friday night . I would have never realized how sweet the birds sound singing at the crack of dawn. Or how fun it is making snow angels in the snow. I would have never realized how quickly children grow and how important it is to watch them do it. I would still be taking my sister for granted.  I would be complaining far more than I actually do about things that actually don't matter.  I wouldn't have decided to swim in the lake or get on the boat for the Pony swim.  I would be less likely to pray and have faith and more likely to act like the world owed me a favor.  I would never be able to see beyond the clouds or see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I wouldn't have noticed those beautiful flowers sitting in the Mojave desert and I wouldn't have found humor in getting left in the dark at a park I had never been to.  I would take hugs and laughter for granted and my doggie's wet nose too.  

It's been difficult these last couple of weeks, to tighten the laces on my boots.  (They have some extra wear on them since they helped Aunt Gloria with her wings.) I'm still not sure we're going to hike this next hill gracefully or at all. So for now, I am going to sit quietly and rest and brush the dirt off my knees.  If you see me, and want to sit and stay awhile I'd sure like that.  If you don't, I'll understand that too.

I sure do love y'all.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very well written. It's also sad. I pray you'll be ok and get to enjoy your beautiful room for a very long time. ((((((((hugs)))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, honest, heartfelt entry.  I am so glad that you were able to repost it for us.  Yes, any illness and of course, facing your mortality, clarifies life in ways others cannot understand.  {{{ Irene }}}  Praying for many more sunrises and sunsets for you to appreciate... many more days with your loved ones... praying for you.

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

This is my reason for returning! Your spirit and honesty! Hope your tomorrow is all that you dreamed it would be! Take care,
Katie

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))You speak from the heart,when you write your entrys.My heart goes out to you.Have a peaceful night.

Anonymous said...

::squeezing tight::

I'm so glad you were able to repost these words and thoughts...  Thank you for sharing your heart, Irene.  For reminding of the beauty in the world that is so taken for granted.  For touching so many lives as you do.  For just being you.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow, that's all I can say.  Your writing is so beautiful that you should really try to publish some of it and share it with the rest of the world that doesn't already know you.  I am glad that you posted it again, I wonder what happened to the first?  I bet an angel had to borrow it!  Thanks again for making me grateful for the little things that life that I sometimes fall into taking them for granted.  I am thankful for you!  I am thankful that you laughed today and smiled.  I hope that tomorrow brings more of the same and that you can make the trip here.  Trust me when I say, it is not the same here without you.  I miss movie night!  

I love you tons and am still praying for peace, comfort, and many more glorious days on your journey...........

Many hugs,
Michelle

Oh........did you say candles??????  LOL!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweetie...you are such an inspiration to many, myself included! I admire your outlook on things and your consistant humor! You are such a blessing! Even though I've never met you...being able to read your entrys makes me feel like I've known you forever! I pray the good Lord above pours out such a blessing and healing over you that everyone around you would know, truly know, that it was He who is there in the midst of it all!!! May He fill your room with beautiful vibrant rainbows...unconditional love...wonderful, sweet scents in the air...abundant peace...and may He block every ill fiber and pain throughout your body! Keep on hangin on, sister, He's got a plan for you! Just a thought...worship music...the enemy hates it! Start speaking down to the enemy and rebuking everything that he's laid upon you...scream at him if you feel like it...let him know you plan on winning this battle!

@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------         <---- a dozen roses for you (any color you want!)
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------
@}--->--->------

{{{hugs}}} ~Kel

Anonymous said...

I caught that candle mentioning as well :o)

First and for most, thank you for expressing yourself.  Your writing ability is one that many wish they were able grab a pen and have at it.
I've always admired you.  

It's okay to think about death.  I'm sure we've all thought about it at some point.
The way you elaborate your feelings gives me a sense of how you're feeling.

I love you Reeknee, always and forever.  You're my shining star, no matter what.

That special man in your life is truly one of the luckiest men in the world.
He's got your entire heart body and soul.

Keep up your spectacular writing,.  I agree that you should publish a book.

Walking Boots ?
I love you endlessly
~RED~

Anonymous said...

Wow, your what if took my breath away!  We sure do realize the important things in life when we realize how serious life is.

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I'm not dying, that I know of, not from illness anyway, but I had another sort of death and grief.. lots of depression and the loss of the love of my life. If it had not been for my grandson, I would not have something to smile about right now. With him came all those wonderful things you mentioned I see things for the first time as his eyes do. Things I took for granted. I know what you speak. I too could go with What ifs, but in the end they don't matter. Things are already done and they are what they are. We can only deal with what is at hand. I wish your family comfort when times get rough for them. I can tell the way you talk that you are so loved and you return that love right back. Hope you have a great weekend.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Wow,

Definitely shouldn't read that particular entry when I'm drunk. Definitely too emotional. I still can't believe Mommom died. It's still beyond me. Sometimes it's like....nah...I can just call her! Or not.

I love you, and all I ask of you is that you don't take off your boots just yet. The world needs you, and most importantly, I need you. =)

Love you more than words can say,
FC

Anonymous said...

There is a flipside to everything, Irene. Not all that glistens is gold, to quote Tolkien.

Anonymous said...

gay for the day!! my irene, "rene"  i pick you:):):)   you are my shining star and i love you!!  keep those dam boots on or i will come over there and kick your ass!! love you MORE!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't visited in a while but you are one beautiful lady.  You remind us all of the shallow lives we lead with useless grudges and worries.  None of us know when we might be facing illness and events which will drastically change our way of thinking.  Lesson learned....we all need to let go  and appreciate each and every day and the small things as if it was our last day on earth because none of know when that will be.  Love to you, Chris

Anonymous said...

What a great entry...I like your journal. :)

Anonymous said...

 Sometimes you may not think you're climbing but the rest of us, the ones who read your journal everyday, the ones who look to you for inspiration, those of us who are blown away at the mountains you climb each moment, we know you're still climbing. So, if for you your climbing feels like sitting for a moment, know I am sitting with you.  If you're legs are tired, I'll carry you and climb.  If you feel like you're lungs can't take another breath, I'll breathe for you.  For at the crest of the final mountain, the final hike, you will have carried me and so many others through an incredible journey that I'm certain would not have happened if you had never been diagnosed with cancer.  I'm positive you'll make the next hike.  I love you sister, more than you could possibly know!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am making drunk Rachel apologize for last night-

Hi, this is drunk Rachel. Sorry if I said anything upsetting or selfish. I get overemotional. It probably-probably-won't happen again.

Sorry about her.

LOVE YOU FC!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your journal. I'm sorry that you are dealing with such a difficult trial. I wish you better days ahead, I wish you wellness.

Anonymous said...

You are a very inspiration lady.  I'm rooting for you and hoping things will be better for you.  You seem to have your head in the right place even though I can tell it has been very difficult.  Take care and stay positive.

Phil

Anonymous said...

I'm hanging out with my 5 bucks and a cup of coffee, dirty knees and all girly. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I read your loving sisters comment (#17) in tears. My lil sis lead us throught her cancer journey as you have your family. She fought a long hard battle, she grew so weak and tired, and though we did not want to let her go, we lovingly let God take her to be one of his beautiful angels. Those of us left behind travel a long sad journey, a journey in which we know our loved ones no longer suffer. Irene, I know you are tired, I know you suffer more than your words here could ever convey. You have been such an inspiration to many of us on your journey. Whatever God's plan holds for you and your family, know that each of you have grown in love for each other gracefully and shared in your love with us. I thank God for allowing me to be a part of your lives.
Love
Debbie

Anonymous said...

As I read your words I couldn't help but marvel at the wisdom and courage God has given unto you!  The way you handle you, the way you handle what's happening.  The way you do what you can and stand and face what you can't do anything about.  These things will stay with those you love after you are gone.  And I'm praying that's a long time off yet.  -  BArbara

Anonymous said...

You, my princess and shining star....you keep those boots on and laced tightly....you may rest and keep those positive thoughts.....I agree with sooooo
many of your friends that continue to follow your journal....please write a book, this jounral is a great start...you are toooooooo talented to let your writings slide by.....I am totally amazed by your words of wisdom, faith, hope, love and just down to earth things we all take for granted....like the cotton ball clouds....the blue sky, the sandy beaches, the birds singing, the wind blowing, a babies cry or laughter.....life is soooooooo sooooooo tooooooo toooooo short.....you are an angel on earth to all of us.....remember I LOVE YOU........ MAY GOD MAKE YOUR PAIN SUBSIDE SO YOU MAY CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY ON EARTH WITH US..... YOU HAVE SOOOOOO MUCH TO GIVE..........MY DARLING IRENE YOU ARE SOOOO
SOOOO LOVED BY SOOOOO MANY PEOPLE.......LOVE PAMMY