Friday, February 2, 2007

Scars And Stars (From The Cancer Crusade)

I don't usually write quite this early in the day.  However, I found this in my emails. 

It really could not have come at a more appropriate time!!

 I'm sure I'll write more later!  Have a fabulous day!!

 

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"
~Author Unknown~

In an interview on “Larry King Live” on August 23 of last year, musician Sheryl Crow discussed her recent bout with breast cancer and the radiation treatments she underwent. She pointed to a tiny dark speck visible just above the neckline of her blouse and explained that it was one of several tattoos that were applied to help guide the radiation technicians as they administered her treatments. She commented that, “Ultimately, I might get (them) removed,” but went on to say she would keep the tattoos for the time being so that she wouldn’t be too quick to forget the powerful life lesson
she had just experienced.

I was a little taken aback when she said that she might one day have her tattoos removed. I’ve had  mine for eleven years now. I wouldn’t give them up for anything because it’s not in the short term that we are in danger of forgetting the lessons cancer has to teach us, but rather in the long term. It is now in these days long removed from daily trips to the hospital, seemingly endless rounds of chemotherapy, and surgery after surgery after surgery that I need to see those tiny blue dots when I undress. It is now when life is good and I am strong and tempted sometimes to pretend that I never had cancer that I need to touch them and remember,
not with sad and fear, but with joy and pride inwhat I endured and overcame. I’ve never thought of having them removed, but I have considered having one of them transformed into a tiny butterfly, a symbol of triumph and rebirth.

Think long and hard, Sheryl, before you have your radiation tattoos removed.Celebrate not only those tiny marks, but also every scar, every mark, every wrinkle to come in the days and years ahead because each of them tells and will tell a piece of the story of who you are. They are part of your music, precious notes in the song that is your life.

A subscriber named Lyn recently wrote to us the following message: “I know someone who is so horrified by her little blue radiation tattoos that she is planning to have them removed. On the other hand, I have wondered what constellation I would get if I connected my dots.”

Stars! She sees them as stars on her body!
What a gift she gave me with those words.

Maybe instead of a butterfly, I'll get a tiny star...

Dear God, help me to remember that I am Your creation and that everything You have created
is perfect and beautiful. Remind me not to be ashamed of my scars, but to see them as stars in   my constellation, brushstrokes in the masterpiece that is my life. Amen

No comments: