Sunday, July 8, 2007

When The Warrior Is Weak Who Will Hold His Hand?

Some of you didn't know me when I was going through chemotherapy.  I'd like to think I took the treatment like a champ.  Maybe I did.  Maybe I didn't.  There are bits and pieces of that part of my life I remember.  Oddly, most of them I don't.

I do recall some days after I had my "cocktail", I would lay in bed bundled underneath comforters.  Mom would come over and wash dishes and finish my laundry. In between sleep and potty calls, I could hear children outside laughing and playing and traffic buzzing by, dogs barking and life happening.  It was terrible.  It was terrible to "hear" life, especially because I felt like mine was being sucked away.

It shouldn't surprise you that not long after that round of chemo, when still more chemo was being advised. I decided to quit having the ports jammed in my arms...forever.  I was done.  I wanted the quality of my life back.

So, here I am...and now you know the story.  Many ask if I regret my decision.  I don't.  Not at all.

Now, however I feel like I am at a similar crossroad.  The bad days are becoming more frequent, and the pain killers aren't cutting it.  So, what do I do??  Lord knows, living like "this" is certainly affecting the quality of my life.  But perhaps, this is what the cancer is going to do with me.  I'm not feeling up for dancing the tango.  I'm not about to give up either.

So, let me answer the question for you.  When the warrior is weak who will hold his hand??  I'm asking that each of you will.  In fact, I will hold my hand out to you, if you promise to reach back and squeeze it tightly. With no words spoken at all.

I love y'all so very much!

Thank you Julie. Your words inspired me, obviously!!  You're an incredible friend. 

 

*** Please say prayers for My Aunt Gloria and our family, Nathan (He's Home!!!), Ms Bobby (she started radiation), Mr. Russo, Ms Pammy (recovering from surgery.), LenoreTrish, David Carey, Sugar and Jeannette. They are fighting the battle with cancer too .

*** Please say prayers for Jay Carey and his family.  He is in Iraq, fighting the war.

 

 

If this is your first time reading my journal, PLEASE go back to my first entry on 11-15-06 to read about the title MEET ME AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE!! Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hands are out.........squeeze them tight.  Feel the hugs that I am magically sending you and know that I am here to fight along side of you.  I love you my friend!!!

Hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

You know I am holding your hand & holdiing on tight...my fellow warrior. When you feel the need just reach out & I'll be htere...just a mouse click away.
And know that God is there too with His arms outstretched, it's not ours to know why things happen like they do, or happen to certain people & not others. Just know God knows the future & He is there with us all the way!
See you got your tag on, but it lost it's animation? Did you save it through photobucket or aol? I know aol loses animation.
Have a good week.
Hugs & prayers,
Sugar

Anonymous said...




Oh sister, I'll hold your hand, I'll hold on with enough strength for both of us.  God will give it to me.  You don't even have to reach.  I'll know to be there, I'm certain.  I'll go to battle with you and when it's time to rest, we'll rest together.  No words necessary.

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Reeknee,

God has graciously blessed me with two arms and hands.  Enclosed muscles that carry strength, such strength to carry such a friend in the time of need.
I have the strength to carry you.  I have the strength to hold your hand forever.
I'm honored to hold your hand.  I'm always here for you, and having two hands you may hold them both.  I've never judged you-ever.  I respect you more than I think you're aware.  God has placed us in each others lives for a reason.  You've given ME strength through many situations.  Please, allow me now to use my strength to hold you, even carry you when you need me.

May God continue to Bless you, Irene.  I love you more today than yesterday.
We're all here standing with our hands out to you.

With an abundance of God's love,
RED aka Heather

Anonymous said...

Awww.. (((IRENE)))
Take care, Chrissie