Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Sleeping pill and some diamonds.

I fell asleep for about two hours.  I couldn't get comfortable though...and here I am.  It's 3:10 am. I continue to have pain. The Loritab doesn't even seem to be taking the edge off.  Sitting is uncomfortable and getting up is worse.  I don't like it. 

Below is something Pamela emailed me.  I actually read it, when I was at her house.  I kept forgetting to forward it to everyone.   As it turns out, I decided it was more appropriate to post it here instead.

Hey Dad,

     I’m sitting here at Crater of Diamond’s State Park (AR – not Arizona but Arkansas) admiring the diamond that I found. Oh yeah, people come from all over to this big, muddy field to look for diamonds. Here’s the kicker, whatever you find you get to keep.

     Why just within the last year, two diamonds over 6 karats each were found. In fact, they average about 3 diamond finds a day here. Most are no bigger than the head of a match.

     There’s not much to it, actually. Some people dig big holes or sift the soil through wooden screens in hopes of finding the treasure, but others (including some of the big diamond finders) just look along the surface for anything that looks shiny.

     Thats how I found my diamond. I just looked over and there it was. Its a big, pretty, reddish-looking one. It must weigh about 2 pounds and is as large as the palm of my hand…what, you thought I meant a genuine diamond? Of course I didn’t. The chances of finding a real diamond are like finding…a diamond in a big, muddy field. What I found was just a smooth orange rock, but I’ll treasure it like it’s a REAL diamond.

     And when I get home, I’ll clean it off, write the date we found it on it, and place it by my desk or in another prominent place next to all my other ‘fake diamonds.’ You see I’ve got a bunch of fake diamonds from all over.

I’ve got a leaf from Mount Vernon, dirt from the dam at Johnstown, water from the swimming pool at Fort Wilderness, a palm frond from a condo westayed at in Florida, Ike’s pirate tooth, Abe’s pacifier, and even the steel ball baring that Ike swallowed (it came out the other end.)

     They’re all fake diamonds---souvenirs of special moments with special people. They don’t have any value on their own, but to me their invaluable and they help me remember moments I never want to forget…or the REAL diamonds.

     So, Dad, keep an eye out for fake diamonds. It might be a Coke can from a picnic, a rock from a special place, or a special shirt that your child outgrows. Hold on to them, and let those ‘fake diamonds’ remind you of the ‘REAL diamonds.’


You ‘da Dad,

Todd 

AKA – The Diamond Hunter

 

Have any "diamonds"??  I know I sure do.  One of my favorites is a frame Pamela made me that has dried flowers from the Mojave desert.  When we were there it was one of the most special, happiest moments in my life.  When I die, that's where I want some of my ashes spread. I hope that last comment didn't freak anyone out!  It's the truth, and hey I didn't say when I die soon...I just said when I die...because we all are going to die at some point.  Ya know?!

I'm going to try to go back to sleep.  I hope y'all are having a great weekend!  Remember how much I love and appreciate you!

 

Congratulations and a lifetime of happiness, love and blessings to Kurt and Felricia!!  They were married Saturday!!!!  YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

*** Please say prayers for My Aunt Gloria and our family, Nathan (He's moved to the Ronald McDonald House.), Ms Bobby (shestarted radiation), Mr. Russo, Ms Pammy (recovering from surgery.), LenoreTrish and David Carey. They are fighting the battle with cancer too .

*** Please say prayers for Jay Carey and his family.  He is in Iraq, fighting the war.

 

 

If this is your first time reading my journal, PLEASE go back to my first entry on 11-15-06 to read about the title MEET ME AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE!! Thanks!

 

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a pizza and movie night!  I so wish I could drive around the corner and find you sitting in your basement apartment laying their waiting for me to spread some well needed laughter and sunshine.  You are so strong it is inspiring.  Most of us can't even imagine what you go through on a daily basis.  SOME of us still even take little things like the luxeries in life for granted.  I have a friend who lost her 10 yr old son this past week and I still don't even know what happened.  She is a lot like you, very sweet and giving......I can't even imagine what she is going through.  It made me think of you and how much you have enriched and strengthened my life.  THANK YOU for that.   I miss you more than you know and I am sending you many mystical hugs to help you feel better.  I wish you much better days to come.......just say it will happen and it will!  You are amazing!!!!!  Continue your journey!  I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Eek....pain is no good! I hate it when you're uncomfortable (to put it nicely). I would offer you a pillow or something but let's face it, you're the one that moved to South Carolina!!

LOVE YOU!!

~fc~

Anonymous said...

rene,

jeff and i are fortunately getting a few days this week to meet up in cabo san lucas without kids! i will try to find you something special from there, even if it's only some sand in a ziploc baggie!

i have to say that i had a good laugh the other week. on one of the few days we had some sun, i took the kids to the pool and they each brought a friend. my daughter and her friend were getting their hair wet and putting it up to look like a george washington wig on their heads. You know that song "Fergilicious" by Fergi? well, they changed it to "Wiggilicious" and were making up their own words and the other one was dancing around her . it was soooooooo funny! i was beside myself! i haven't laughed like that in a long time! i'm quite the serious drill seargent mom most of the time, but that was too funny!!!!!!!!!!!! so my point is, it's nice to relax and let your kids see you laugh! then you can bark out some more orders later!!! hahahahaha

hope you're feeling better soon.

Love,

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Michelle ~ You are just a fabulous friend.  Thank you so much.  I love you!

Anonymous said...

Melinda ~ Belly laughter is THE BEST!!  I hope you and Jeff enjoyed your alone time together!!  I'd love to see pictures of the vacation!!  xoxoxox