Monday, March 5, 2007

If I Knew Then, What I Know Now

After dinner tonight, Mom and I were talking about driving cars with stick shifts.  I asked her if she knew how to drive a stick. She told me she did, and out of curiosity I asked her if Dad taught her how.  He didn't, but he sure did try to teach me how when I got my driver's license.  Try being the keyword.

Let me tell the short story.  We take the car out and for the life of me I can't get the car to stop jerking.  I can't balance the clutch at all.  We get to the light, which is red (four way intersection) at Georgia Avenue and Norbeck Road.  Dad is hollering at me with frustration. There are a bunch of guys in the next lane laughing at me and I am so mad I'm sure smoke was coming out from my ears.  I get out of the car, slam the door,  walk around to the passenger side and tell Dad I am not driving anymore.

Reminiscing on the story, Mom and I were laughing. Dad, didn't even remember!!  He said to me, "Why would I remember something like that??"  Of course, I'm thinking...how could you ever forget that?????  To me, that was HUGE.  Like Mom said...it wasn't so funny then.  Of course now, it is hilarious!!!!!!!

It's ironic though, if I knew then what I'd be going through now...I wouldn't have even cared about that car jerking down the road and people laughing at me.  I would have been less concerned with Dad being frustrated and I probably would have laughed loudly each time the car stalled out.

It's amazing how having cancer has changed my perspective on life's adversities.  For the most part, "it" really is all "small stuff". I am happy and joyful and try to remain that way no matter what I am experiencing. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and I find comfort in knowing God has some big plan for me!

"Cancer takes us through many dark valleys, but it can also push us to the top of the mountain where everything becomes crystal clear. There is nothing that can compare to the joy that is to be found in that "hilltop hour".   Kathy Cawthon

So very true...

I'm off to bed now.  I love y'all very much!

 

 

*** Please keep  Nathan ("They found zero Neuroblastoma cells in his sample.  This would mean his bone marrow is clear."  YEAH!!!!!!) , Ms Bobby (she's starting radiation soon.) and Ms Pammy in your prayers. They are all fighting the battle with cancer too .

*** Please say prayers for Heather and Izzy in her tummy.  Baby Izzy needs to fatten up before she arrives in June!!!!!!!

*** Please pray for Mary Nell and the healing of her back.

*** Prayers for Cassie and her family.

 

If this is your first time reading my journal, PLEASE go back to my first entry on 11-15-06 to read about the title MEET ME AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE!! Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the car!  I remember driving with you and getting lost all the time....like when we ended up on 270 to our cheerleading party at Karol's house!  We missed the party.    That was too much!  Looking back at all of our huge issues back then only prove we were true drama queens!  However, all of our issues end up teaching us for the present!

love you!  amy

Anonymous said...

I believe in being a drama queen. Sometimes. When no one is looking. Because it really just looks stupid to other people. ;-D

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for making me realize how stupid I can be sometimes.  You have such a gift with writing and you paint such beautiful pictures of your visions.  Keep writing and inspiring us all.  Hopefully one day, I will be half as gracious and wonderful as you!  

Miss and love you lots!
Hugs,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy your comment is too funny!!  And the fact that you said we'd get lost all the time is hilarious!!  Trust me, I am not any better now with finding my way around!!!  I can't wait to see you!
Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle~ You are gracious and wonderful...and last night you were a riot!!!
I love you tons!