Monday, January 1, 2007

What Was Your Favorite Memory From 2006?

        Happy New Year Everyone!! Welcome 2007!!!

The drive back to South Carolina was uneventful.  Except, for the traffic.  It took ten hours!!  The kids did really well considering.  I slept the majority of time.  I did wake up for the milkshake stop!  Hey, I'm a smart girl!  I have to tell you, the air quality is much better here.  As soon as we stopped I could breathe better.  Gotta love that.  I also have to pat myself on that back because on an average day ANYONE will tell you I am geographically challenged.  Don't ask me for directions, don't ask me to point to a state on a map.  I just don't know.  REALLY.  However, my sister asked me what exit to take off the highway at Anderson....and I knew.  Yeah, I did.  Yes, I was right!!!  Are you reading this Michelle, Red, Cass???  (doing the happy dance!!)

The new year was celebrated with champagne and GREAT food of course.  My father said a short prayer that stopped short of bringing my mother to tears.  That doesn't surprise anyone, does it?  Fireworks were supplied by neighbors, so we were lucky to be able to go outside and simply just watch them!!

Tonight was our last dinner all together before my sister and company will head back to DC in the morning. Pamela asked us what our favorite memory of the year 2006 was. There was much pondering going on.  Seriously, in an entire year to pick out one moment or time and decide it is your "favorite".  The children kept naming a few things and than changing their minds.  Even I was having a difficult time deciding. So narrowing it down to three...my summer vacation to Chicoteague with my brother in law and sister and kids, Christmas Eve, and Thanksgiving. My father who prefaced his favorite memory with what a hard year it has been, continued to say something about the look on my mother's face when she saw their new property and the house they are building....oh and I'd sure like to tell you his exact words but I was too busy grabbing for a napkin to wipe the tears coming from my eyes. Pamela did me in though. She decided she wasn't narrowing ANYTHING down to one memory, even though she was the one whoasked the question. Her favorite memories were the looks on her children's faces when they came off the rides at Disney World, and when her oldest daughter rides horses and feels accomplished, when she was able to spend a weekend with her husband, time spent with my parents on their boat just relaxing.  Ohhh my. Was I crying?  Was she?  Was my mother?  Yes. Yes. Yes.

I wish each of you a happy new year filled with moments and memories of love and laughter and blessings. 

I love y'all.

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say Thanksgiving was definitely the best ever.

You have very entertaining posts, I enjoy them.  It's funny, because the more I read them, the more I am reminded you are constantly fighting yourself to get through.  And I always forget that you have to--you never act like it's an issue.  That's extremely admirable--and definitely an example to follow whenever anything gets bad.

You are an inspiration!

Love you, talk to you soon!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Chica!  I am so glad that you all had such a festive New Year's...next year Michael and I are there!!!!!  I can't think of just one memory of 2006 but I can say that 2007 is going to be so much better and I am on a mission!  I hope that you are getting the rest that you so well deserve!

Oh and, I am proud of you finding your way home (ha! ha!) and I am on my LAPTOP!!!!  Way cool!

Lots of love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sweet words Rachel.  I appreciate it more than you know.  I cannot wait to see you again, and hopefully Tom too.

Love you,
Rene

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I forgot to ask about the new laptop.  How is it??  Please do come next year for New Year's!!  Oh my, how fun would that be?!!!!!!!! I've rested all I can, it's my foot that needs it now.  Ha  ha. I love you! Call me!

The Princess