Monday, January 29, 2007

Well....

I'm consistent.  I still have cancer!  Ha ha.  I know, the only people laughing right now are my sister and my mom, and Leeann (probably)!

Let's see....where to start? I'll tell you the results and then details.  If you remember I had the PDT done more than a year ago to my right lung, and it was sustaining.  The PET scan (I saw the difference in the last two) now shows metastisis into my left lung.  There is also growth in the tumor in my back and in my bladder. So, my doctor is recommending radiation for both.  This is not to "cure" the cancer.  But to make me more comfortable, so to speak.

(Photodynamic Therapy PDT uses laser, or other light sources, combined with a light-sensitive drug to destroy cancer cells. A photosensitising agent is a drug that makes cells more sensitive to light. Once in the body, the drug is attracted to cancer cells. It does not do anything until it is exposed to a particular type of light. When the light is directed at the area of the cancer, the drug is activated and the cancer cells are destroyed.)

My white blood cell count is below 3,300 cmm and my red blood cell count is also low. Now if you didn't know, the red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the tissues. Since my count is low, which effects my breathing I'll be getting injections of Aranasep to boost the count.  I am also on huge doses of Prednisone.

I'm grateful and relieved there isn't a tumor in my head.  I am thankful that my oncologist said I "looked good" considering what is going on inside my body.

There were six messages on my phone after I left my doctor's office.  There were seven more from the time I took a nap and had dinner.  I haven't returned one call yet.  HOWEVER, I am beyond touched and feel incredibly blessed to have such great family and friends to love and support me. 

I love y'all very much...and don't you worry, I'm a survivor.

Ohhh and I shouldn't forget to say, I'm returning calls tomorrow!  :)

 

If this is your first time reading my journal, PLEASE go back to my first entry on 11-15-06 to read about the title MEET ME AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE!! Thanks!

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You return calls when you wish.

I love you too much.

I read this 8 minutes after you posted it and I will be honest, I ran to Charlie's arms to cry.  You are such a fighter Reeknee!  I LOVE THAT!!

I hurt for you no matter what happens.  I wasn't aware however of the bladder cancer.  Tears streamed quickly after reading THAT.  

No matter what you've got a cheerleading squad that reaches the moon.
You're amazing, wonderful, beautiful, lovely, strong, my best friend and as you said A Survivor.

I love you.  I love you so very very much.  I wish I could hug you right now.  I know the Prednisone helps but I know the side effects for you.
What's the countdown for March?  I can't wait to see you again!  I wish we could spend more time together.
Ok, here come more tears.  Gotta run.
Love Always and Forever,
Your Red~

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you updated your journal.  You are a fighter and have many people behind you fight right along side of you:-)  Make sure you listen to your body and do whats needed...that's whats helped so far and don't forget your love for life.  I wish I could be with you just like old times, having dinner, watching movies, and most importantly laughing.....let's set a date to do it!!!

Can't wait to see you and hug you again!
Luv,
Michelle