Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sometimes You Come To A Fork In The Road...

...and you just have to kick it.

I had decided to get up early this morning because I knew Dad wanted to bring everyone to the new house and then venture off to Lake Hartwell.  I was in the kitchen before 9:00am.  Hard to believe, I know!!  I made some tea, and watched the phenomenon of Ellie's blonde bed head hair as she woke up, and sat for a few minutes before getting "pretty" for the day ahead.

Of course just as my hair is perfect, and my make up is on, and I'm getting ready to put my clothes on. I can feel a pain in my tummy...and I know what's about to happen isn't going to be pleasant.  Ohhh and it wasn't.  So, Dad made the tea and I took my "happy" pills and my sister made some dry toast and Sarah delivered it to me while I rocked back and forth on the floor waiting for everything to subside....and eventually everything did.  Subside, that is.

Thankfully everyone waited around for me and now, I am feeling righteous and loopy and silly...and yes better.  (It's amazing what medicine will do when you take as you are suppose to!) I grab a Pedialyte from the fridge and a fleece coat, hop in the Suburban with my sister and the kids...off we all go!!

The "new house" though not finished, is amazing.  The kids were thrilled to find out they all have their own bedrooms. We took a bunch of pictures and everyone then decided to hike down to the lake.

I have never hiked down that hill.  For obvious reasons, right?  Lung cancer for starters. I was also feeling a little drugged from the morning "adventures".  Of course I am always the one preaching live in the moment...and well here I was in the moment.  But you know I couldn't get it out of my mind, that this might be the last time I have the opportunity to hike down the hill with the kids.  Play near the water.  Find some shells.  Take family pictures. Slide in the mud.  Find a single yellow flower growing lonely allby itself.  Sitting in the Suburban and later hearing about their fun could hardly compare!! 

I took a deep breathe...looked at the fork in the road....and yep...I kicked it.

The way down was nothing compared to the way back up.  I was emotional for some reason.  Oh who am I kidding. I am emotional anyway.  But these days...I am soooooooooo emotional. Half way back up that hill I cried.  I cried. I cried.  Maybe for what was gained at that moment.  Or maybe it was even for all I felt I have been loosing. Either way, I did it. I climbed back to the top.  And to think...I actually questioned the moment!!

What an amazing day!!

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of the hill? That was an event after all. I love you and will talk to you at some point being as that you will have a housefull by the end of the day. J love you my best friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Read it again!!!

I love you more!

Anonymous said...

THAT is my girl!!!