Saturday, October 13, 2007

One Dollar and a Smile

I find myself in this situation often.  I get the inspiration to write, but I'm not in front of my PC.  So, FYI I started this entry in the car on a piece of paper with my chicken scratch. 

I just gave one dollar to a man asking for money at the light we just stopped at.  I realize this is going to create some controversy, rolling of the eyes perhaps and even some negative comments.  Ohhh it already has.  :)  I'm ok with that.  Bring it on.  The man wasn't holding up a sign telling his story, he didn't smell like alcohol and no I didn't ask him what he was going to do with the dollar I was giving him.  I don't actually know that it would have mattered if I asked, or if he told me.  I wasn't judging him, at all.

"People" always say that "those people" can beg...why can't they look for jobs?!??  All that comes to my mind when I hear that is...would you hire someone who hasn't washed their clothes, didn't know when their next shower was going to be and was standing on the street corner asking for donations?  That was a rhetorical question.  I already know how most people would answer that!  Again, I'm not his judge.

                                       

I haven't really held a steady full time job in almost three years.  I have medical bills totaling over $90, 000, no health insurance, upcoming doctors appointments and labs that need to be done and prescriptions I will remain on for the rest of my life that have to be paid for. 

I do have extremely supportive family and friends (emotionally and financially), a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in and I never go hungry.  I also have hope and prayers.  However, I believe if I didn't have all of the above, I too could be one of "those people" asking for money on the corner...hoping to make it or simply get by.  Again, I don't know that man's story and I am not his judge.  I do know that one dollar, a smile, and saying "I'll pray for you" isn't going to "break me"...and who knows maybe, just maybe I can be the difference in his (or someone else's) life.

The Browning's are at MN's house in Virginia for  the weekend.  The boyfriend picked the menu, and I'm cooking it!  I hope I don't kill him or set Pamela's house on fire!  I'll let you know how it goes.

I have a story.  I know many of you do too.  I'm going to keep telling mine regardless of who judges me or has something to say about my life and the way I am living it.

Don't be so quick to judge.  Everyone has a story!!!  Try listening first.  Really listening and hearing.  It may be your greatest lesson yet.  

I love y'all tons!

*** Please say prayers for Nathan (He is starting chemo and radiation again.), Ms Bobby (she started radiation), Mr. Russo, Ms Pammy (recovering from surgery.), Lenore ~ she's having a recurrence in her lungsTrish, David Carey, Sugar, Cindy (She's in remission),Tammy (she's in remission), Krissy's husband, John, Jeannette and Ms Margie. They are fighting the battle with cancer too .

*** Please say prayers for Brenda.

*** Please say prayers for Jay Carey and his family.  He is in Iraq fighting the war.

 *** Please say prayers for Frances and her son, Matthew.  He is in Afghanistan.

If this is your first time reading my journal, PLEASE go back to my first entry on 11-15-06 to read about the title MEET ME AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE!! Thanks!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You never know who that person really is - asking for help.  It may be an angel.  Now people eye's are rolling, LOL.  Hey I do it too Irene.  I loved the movie "Pay It Forward".  You just never know how that $1 might grow in the heart of a person reaching out for help.  Perhaps, someday he will be able to give more than that square piece of paper offers to the visual eye.  There is hope.  

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing. I try to do one good deed a day for someone. ((((((((Hugs))))))))
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)())))))))))))))You got me thinking,I will be honest,I do say,why cant the clean them selfs up,but,I do udnerstand were your comming from and I get it now.Your not offending me.thank you for sharing your entry with me.I hope I didnt offend you.My Mom,She has given money before.I o feel sorry for them thoe.I hope that doesnt make me a bad person.Because I do care.Have a nice night.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry.  You come from an interesting perspective, as one who has no insurance, yet has family and friends to help you.  Many don't, and if you didn't, you would be in the same position, so yes, how can you judge?  Same with me.  I have help also.  From family and other sources.  There but by the grace of God go I.  So why should I or anybody else judge for that matter.  You have really opened my eyes.  Not that I think I have judged in the past.  But what I have done is this.  Because I lived in the DC area, and knew there were a lot of alcoholics, and didn't want the money to go for that, I would ask the person if they wanted the money for food or something like that.  If they said yes, I would go to Hardees or somewhere and buy them something and bring it back, or I would take them to a restaurant and feed them.  That way I knew they weren't going to drink the money up.  It would just go against my conscience to buy them the booze.  That's just the way I feel.  But I would get them what they wanted/needed.  I hope that is compassion, LOL.  

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink    

Anonymous said...

I do it too. {{}}
Sugar

Anonymous said...

IRENE....I AGREE WITH #1 COMMENT.....GOD SENDS PEOPLE IN OUR LIVES IN DIFFERENT FORMS AND SITUATIONS.....I DO THE SAME.....

Anonymous said...

Glad you are well!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Anytime a gift is given, you have to give it and let it go.  In other words give in what ever manner you feel led to do, but don't try to control the outcome from there.  Given the right circumstances, most anyone could be on a street corner.  Many look down their noses.  But begging is more honorable than some of the jobs that are out there.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I look at it this way...That could be God at my door.
Love & Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Any of one of us is just a few steps away from being that person in need of help. When one of us hurts, we should all hurt. There is no "us" and "them". Love, kindness, and compassion are never a wrong choice.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately that is something in life we must tolerate and that's judgement.
Why?  Dunno, but I can't understand why anyone would judge you - ever.
If they do, they don't KNOW you, the real true you.
You are living YOUR life and that was kind of you to give someone a dollar; I'm sure many of us have.
This, along with all the others is an outstanding entry.
Would love to discuss this more privately with you eventually.
I love you a gazillion times over and over.
You're amazing, beautiful, touching, talented, strong, lovable, humorous.
Qualities that are incredible and true.  How on earth could or would someone judge someone like you?
With an abundance of love always and forever,
~R E D~

Anonymous said...

Well said and you're right how many of us just waste money left and right without a thought. Actually, I too am lucky to have a very supportive family, but not everyone is lucky to have that. Just what you said about how they look. I will share a story my teen great niece is into this piercing stuff (I don't approve), but it is her and her mom allows it so nothing more said, but she is the most awesome person you could ever meet because of how is looks people stear clear of her calling her a bad kid.. she's far from that. You just made me think of that when you said would you hire someone on how they look instead of what kind of person they were. So true we use our eyes to much and not our hearts.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

All of us are one step away from being homeless.  Most just don't realize it.  I have been.  I believe in passing it forward.  I go on instinct or more God's guidance when giving.  I have given dollars to people on the streets that no one would look at.  Then others I don't feel I should.  Angels walk amongst us so who are we to judge.  As far as those who do, oh well, that's their loss because they are miserable people.  Hugs to you, Chris